- Shop around – Download the mynrma app to find cheap petrol prices in your area.
- Refuel when prices are low – not when your tank is empty.
- Fill up early – Petrol is usually cheapest on Monday and Tuesday.
- Avoid hard acceleration and braking – Flow with the traffic – smooth driving can reduce fuel consumption by up to 30 per cent.
- Watch your speed – Keep in the left lane if travelling below the limit.
- Lighten the load – Take off roof-racks and bull bars if they’re not needed. Remove golf clubs or tools if you’re not using them.
- Tyre pressure – Keep pressure towards the top of the manufacturer’s recommended range. Under-inflated tyres respond poorly to steering and do not hold well on the road.
- Open the windows – When the weather is fine, switch off the air-conditioning. This can reduce fuel consumption by up to 10 per cent in urban driving.
- Shop smart – Take advantage of the range of petrol offers with companies such as Woolworths.
- Service your car regularly – Blocked air filters can increase fuel consumption significantly.
NRMA MotorServe carries out a 40 point Safety Check free as part of every general or log book service so you know exactly what your car needs. NRMA MotorServe is now open in 22 locations around Sydney, and have our first country store in Wagga Wagga. Bookings can be made by calling 1300 223 544 or online.
If you haven’t already, now is the perfect time to download the my nrma app. As well as saving you cash by helping you find the cheapest fuel, it’s super-handy if you need roadside assistance or need to order a battery – and you can even use it to save money with our More4Members partners. Its available for Apple iOS users on the App Store as well as Android users on Google Play.