This Thursday, Australia’s Best Cars are revealed in Sydney. It’s a huge day on the Australian motoring calendar, where car buyers and manufacturers discover the year’s best cars, as judged by an independent panel of motoring experts from Australia’s seven car clubs.
There are eight key factors that make Australia’s Best Cars stand out as the nation’s most important car awards program, and make the all new Best Car tool (see below) an essential resource for car buyers.
1. Independent: Australia’s Best Cars is the most objective car assessment program in Australia. Unlike other award programs, ABC is wholly funded by the Australian Motoring Clubs and does not rely on advertising revenue. Therefore, the results are based on pure data, resulting from rigorous, independent testing with no external influences or bias.
2. Transparent: ABC is the only awards program in the country, and one of the only in the world, that has total transparency across the judging process. All scores are published for our Members, the wider public and manufacturers to scrutinise.
3. Expert: ABC’s 12 judges have more than 141 years of road testing experience, combined with backgrounds in vehicle engineering, vehicle testing and motoring advice.
4. Comprehensive: ABC evaluates 180 eligible cars on the market (not just new cars for that year) over a wide range of criteria. The testing takes place on 3000 kilometres of driving trackon on bitumen, dirt and off road. There is a yearlong evaluation period to develop the shortlist of 45 finalists.
5. Detailed: Under the three headings Value for Money, Design and Function, and On the Road, there are up to eight criteria. Each criterion is given a score between 1 and 10, with 10 being the best score possible, the higher the score the better. The program’s strength is its numbers – there is a number scored for every criteria and the total shows why each car won.
6. Consistent: The Driving centre at The Australian Automotive Research Centre Test Facility, in Anglesea, Victoria gives the judges repeatability – allowing the same car to be driven over same piece of road.
7. Practical: The ABC uses criteria our Members value, ensuring relevance to the Aussie car buyer. The scores for each criterion are weighted according to their importance to buyers and vary by category. Each year, every car in the program is re-evaluated and we compile and publish in-depth scoring tables so we can give Members a valuable, up to date, reference point that is especially useful if you’re looking to purchase a new car.
8. Influential: The panel of expert judges have a genuine impact on the future of the automotive industry and manufacturers have previously made improvements to their vehicles based on feedback from the program. ABC operates to the benefit of consumers with the Motoring Clubs investing each year to promote safe and affordable motoring.
This year, the NRMA is launching a new Best Cars tool that packages the data from the Australia’s Best Cars Awards program into a portal that allows you to choose the Best Car for you. The new website allows Members to select the criteria that best suits your needs and will re-sort the cars in each category based on your preferences. The Best Car website will go live at midday on Thursday February 25 after the official results are announced. To access the site head to Australia’s Best Cars and follow the link.