International Drivers Licence

International Driving Permits (IDP) are an internationally recognised permit which allow you to drive overseas.  You can purchase an international driver’s license from the NRMA by going to our international drivers licence page

However, it’s not a driving licence in its own right. You must also carry your current Australian driver’s licence with you when you travel.

Together both documents allow you to drive in over 150 countries; the international drivers licence contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.

Even if you don’t intend to drive when you travel overseas you should always carry an International Driving Permit.

The authorization for the International Driver License has its basis in the United Nations conventions on Road Traffic and Safety held in 1923, 1943, 1949 and 1968, which established standards for the International Driving permit.

Your IDP is valid for twelve months or expires at the same time as your Australian driving licence, whichever comes first.

13 thoughts on “International Drivers Licence

  1. I have sent my application from Greece, I have not received my International Drivers License, it has been over a month. If there is a problem please contact me and I will be glad to clarify. My phone no. XXXXXXX or you can Email. Thank you.

  2. hi need application form for international licence, can,t print it from your web page, pls can u send it in text. Thankyou inge

  3. Hi there,

    I’ve moved to Canada a few months ago on a work permit and brought my international drivers license with me from Australia. Unfortunately my international drivers license has gone missing though luckily my boss has a photocopy of it. So…what steps do I need to take in order to receive a new international drivers license?

    Hope to hear from you soon.



    • Hi Naomi, An IDP can be issued over the counter whilst you wait or through Express Post within Australia. Applications can also be submitted whilst overseas which are then sent via international courier. Cheers, Paul- NRMA Community Manager.

  4. Do you need to be an NRMA member to have an International Drivers Licence issued? I have downloaded the application form and the membership details has the question pre-ticked as YES to the question are you an NRMA member. I am not an NRMA member. How do I have an IDP issued in NSW?

    • Thanks for your question Pete. You do not need to be an NRMA Member to purchase an International Driving Permit, although you must be over 18 years old and hold a valid Australian Drivers Licence . To apply you will need to supply a recent (no more than two years old) passport sized photograph, similar size to your passport, no larger than 3.5cm x 4.5cm. (Please note for the photo to be valid it needs to be on photographic paper) and complete the following form: You can fill the form in online and print so it is filled out and either attend your closest NRMA office or post directly to us to complete. If you need any more informtion, feel free to get in touch with us on 1300 053 052. Cheers, Paul-NRMA Social

  5. Hi, Can you please tell me if having a IDP makes it legal to drive in Vietnam?
    I’ve read differing things all over the internet. Thanks.

    • Hi Katherine,
      Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately the international driving permit issued by the Australian Auto clubs is not recognised in Vietnam.
      To legally drive or ride any vehicle in Vietnam you are required to apply for a temporary Vietnamese licence please see below details
      OTA Touring Information
      Temporary permit for visitors
      Non-Vietnamese citizens are only allowed to drive/ride in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese driving licence.
      In order to convert a foreign driving licence or an IDP into a temporary Vietnamese driving licence, the driver must apply to:

      Office of Traffic and Public Works
      16 Cao Ba Quat Street
      Tel.: +84 4 3843 5325

      Office of Transportation
      63 Ly Tu Trong Street
      District 1, Ho Chi Minh
      Tel: +84 8 3829 0451/2

      Hope this helps,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Have you Subscribed via RSS yet? Don't miss a post!