Welcome to the NRMA
1300 279 528

Carnet (Vehicle Identification)

A Carnet is a simple customs document that saves time, effort and expense. It acts as a passport for your motor vehicle when you take it overseas. Carnet contains a set of vouchers. Customs officers simply take one voucher every time you pass in and out of each country. This allows the temporary importation of vehicles with a minimum of customs formalities for international drivers.

A Carnet is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into African, Asian, Middle East and South American countries and New Zealand. A Carnet is not required for motor cars, campervans and motorcycles entering all countries in Europe or the continent of North America for touring purposes.

The Australian Automobile Association is a member of the AIT/FIA Carnet network. This network guarantees to customs authorities around the world payment of customs duties on motor vehicles temporarily imported for touring purposes.

If you'll be driving internationally and want to get a Carnet, you must be a financial member of a constituent motoring organisation of the AAA.

To organise your Carnet you need to fill out an application form and provide security in one of the following forms:
  • Undertake an indemnity executed by an approved financial institution, such as a bank, building society, credit union or insurance company
  • A cash deposit in the form of a bank cheque representing the security required, or
  • Payment of a premium for a special indemnity insurance policy, available through the AAA
More information to apply for a Carnet please go to the AAA website.

All information was correct at the time of writing but may change without notice.

Talk to an NRMA Travel Consultant

NRMA Membership Number
Phone Number
Ideal times to call
Email Address
Your enquiry

  • Phone Enquiry

    Call Now
    1300 279 528
  • Enquiries & Feedback

    Is this email:

    An enquiry




    Call me
    Email me


Travel Newsletter

Sign up for the NRMA Travel newsletter