In these trying times, whether its helping healthcare workers with a free roadside assistance callout, or providing Members financial help for Membership costs, we're here when you need us. However, to ensure the upmost safety to both our Members and Patrols, we are taking extra precautions in the following ways:
- We're asking Members who contact us for assistance to let us know if they are at risk of the virus or in quarantine so we can help in the best and safest way.
- All of our patrols have been supplied with personal protective equipment, hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes, and will be following the NSW health guidelines which strongly recommend the use of face masks in situations where physical distancing is not possible.
- We’ve developed special safety and hygiene procedures for providing service to Members in highest-risk locations such as at COVID-19 testing sites.
- We’re observing social distancing guidelines as much as possible at all times, and we’re asking you to maintain a 1.5m distance if we’re helping you.
- New measures and precautions are in place for when a Member’s vehicle needs towing to ensure the safety of all parties: Members are no longer allowed to travel in the cabin of the truck unless they are deemed to be in an unsafe location. Instead, we’ll be asking Members if they’re able to arrange their own transport, and if not, we’ll arrange a taxi on their behalf.
- Interstate auto clubs have procedures in place closely aligned with our own, with Victoria understandably having additional measures in place at this time.
- Please download or update to the latest version of the my nrma app where we’ve added a COVID-19 safety feature when requesting help at the roadside. That way, if you do need assistance, you can book from the app and track us when we’re on the way to you.
- We're supporting emergency services vehicles, delivery vehicles and critical service providers that break down.
Please be aware that, for everyone's safety, we are unable to provide immediate roadside assistance for Members who are in quarantine. In this event, we will case manage the callout to ensure the Member receives transport home and the vehicle is tended to after a safe duration has passed.
Adapting to the times
Ensuring the upmost safety of our people, our Members and the community is our top priority. The vast majority of our office-based staff – including our call centres – are working from home. Please be aware that all of our security protocols are in place, and your information remains safe and secure at all times.
If you need to renew, pay or change your Membership details, you can use online self-service or call 13 11 22. If you take advantage of your NRMA Blue benefits, please be aware that some of our partners have also changed the way they operate, so it’s best to check with them individually for detailed information.
For any NRMA Insurance enquiries, changes or payments, please note that some branches and kiosks are temporarily closed. Check which branches are open or get help online at nrma.com.au or by calling 132 132. Please note, that customers must book an appointment before attending any branch or kiosk.
All NRMA Driver Training students and customers are being required to make COVID-19 declarations upon booking and have hand sanitiser and face masks available to use in each vehicle.
We’re taking extra precautionary measures for all senior lessons and assessments, including mandatory face masks for both the instructor and the participant.
All vehicles are being thoroughly disinfected between each booking, and our Safer Drivier Courses are being offered at appropriate venues where a COVIDsafe plan is in place.
NRMA Parks and Resorts
- All parks in Victoria are currently closed.
- Parks in other states remain open to travellers from within the state.
- We’re contacting anyone with interstate bookings as their booking date approaches with the latest relevant government advice.
- Extra measures are in place such as the use of personal protective equipment including face masks by staff in NSW and VIC, some common areas closed with hand sanitiser supplied in all others, contactless guest check-in and COVID-19 declarations required.
- We’ve implemented flexible booking terms to help allow for unforeseen circumstances and offer peace of mind.
Ferries and cruises
- We’ve reduced the capacity on many of our services including fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay and whale watching cruises, and we’re continuing to review the situation and will adjust numbers accordingly.
- We’ve introduced additional cleaning measures of all high-touch surfaces before and after each service or cruise.
- Passengers are provided with free hand sanitizer before boarding and temperature checks may be taken during check-in.
- On ferry services passengers are encouraged to wear a face mask, on whale watching cruises they are mandatory. Free face masks are provided.
- We’ve started introducing COVID-19 marshals on wharves and vessels to keep passengers safe and ensure they have the best experience possible.
- We’re asking passengers to give us contact details to assist with government contact tracing and to make COVID-19 declarations during the booking process.
- In Victoria, vehicle rental is considered an essential service, however we’ve had to close airport and some city locations.
- We now have even more vigorous cleaning and disinfecting procedures for all vehicles between bookings.
- Staff are using a variety of personal protective equipment including face masks, and offices have extra cleaning measures in place.
- We’re trialling contactless pickup at a number of locations and hope to roll this out to others soon.
Keeping you informed
Lockdown measures in the fight against COVID-19 have unsurprisingly raised questions around how we use our vehicles, with Members curious on everything from maintaining their car to registration and insurance.
In Cars, driving and COVID-19: your questions answered we untangle some of the confusion you may have around your vehicle during this time. We'll keep these frequently asked questions and answers as up to date as possible - and we've also included links to other websites for further information.
As well as adapting our our operations to stay safe during COVID-19, we also launched a program to put our people, our vehicles and our other assets to practical use. On behalf of our Members, we are lending a hand to those in need across NSW during this difficult time – the vulnerable, the elderly and the isolated in our communities.
Let’s keep moving forward together
We’re all in this together, so let’s help each other by staying patient, following the advice of authorities, getting tested then staying home if we experience symptoms, and looking out for each other and for those more vulnerable in the community.
Check out our safe travels page for the best way to travel safely during COVID-19.