Moving to a new country is a difficult process at the best of times, so we're playing our part in helping refugees during their first stages of settlement. We've partnered up with Gymea Community Aid and Information Service on the DriveTime Program; a driver licensing support program for refugees in Wollongong and Fairfield.
Participants access NRMA Driver Training and volunteer mentors to accrue the hours, experience and knowledge needed to get their licence and open pathways to work.
Eligible DriveTime Program participants:
- Arrived in Australia on a refugee visa from 1 December, 2011
- Live in Western Sydney or the Illawarra
- Aged 25-55
- Certificate II in Spoken and Written English (or equivalent) or higher
- Registered with SSI’s Refugee Employment Program (or similar)
- Previous driving experience and NSW learner licence
- Ready for employment after obtaining a driver licence
Get involved and give back
As the largest membership organisation in Australia, we're asking our Members to get involved and offer their time to help in a number of different ways.
The DriveTime Program provides all volunteer mentors with road safety and cultural awareness training. We'll work with your schedule and what roles you'd like to participate in.
You can help participants improve their:
- language and road safety knowledge as a Knowledge Mentor; or
- confidence to drive safely on the open road as a Supervising Driver (Thrifty car, fuel and insurance provided)
This program would not be possible without the following supporters: