Regional residents welcome transport relief boost

Country Car
Country Car - Mobile

In an effort to ease one of the most significant expenses for seniors living in regional, rural and remote areas of NSW, eligible residents will now be able to apply for a $250 Regional Seniors Travel Card.

The regional seniors travel card program is available for a 2-year trial period (2020-2021). This means that eligible seniors can apply for a card this year and for another card in the second year of the program.

Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible to receive the Regional Seniors Travel Card you must hold either an Aged Pension card or a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for at least one month, issued by either the Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

The trial will be widened in the coming months to include pension-aged veterans collecting a Service Pension or recipients of a War Widow Pension or Disability Pension through the Department of Veterans Affairs.  

Seniors must also live in a designated regional area of NSW outside Sydney, Newcastle or Wollongong City Council boundaries.

regional seniors travel card

Where can I use my card?

The region card is pre-loaded with $250, which can be used to pay for travel-related expenses at retailers, online and over the phone Australia wide. It’s a prepaid, non-reloadable Visa card with a 4-digit PIN and a magnetic strip on the back. Once you’ve activated your card, it will be ready to use for:

  • pre-booked NSW TrainLink Regional train and coach services
  • taxi trips
  • fuel at service stations, convenience stores or mixed businesses that operate with a fuel merchant category code
  • fuel for someone else’s vehicle to support your transport needs
  • Opal card payments (including one-off top ups online or via the Opal Travel app).  

How do I apply?

Regional residents who are eligible can apply online by either logging in our creating a MyServiceNSW Account.

You’ll need to confirm your personal details, contact details and the issuer, number and expiry date of your Pensioner Concession Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

You can also apply by visiting a Service NSW centre, or by calling 13 77 88. You will not need a MyServiceNSW Account or email address if you’re applying in person or over the phone.

Applications will close on 30 November 2020. You will need to reapply for 2021 anytime from December 2020.

Successful applicants will receive their card within 10 working days.

Card image credit: Service NSW 


Love road trips?

Make your next one matter