The Easter school holidays is one of the most popular times on Australian roads, and is the second busiest time of year for Thrifty Car and Truck Rental (owned by the NRMA), behind the Christmas holiday period.
Tourism Research Australia dat showed domestic day trips grew nine per cent last year, and overnight trips grew by nine per cent, reflecting growing interest in people wanting to visit local destinations.
Thrifty CEO Tom Mooney said it was an ideal time for family holidays with mild weather conditions and stunning locations accessible by road, but many families had inevitably experienced the age-old road trip question from kids, "are we there yet?" while on the road.
"Thrifty has launched the downloadable Road Trip Game Pack for kids big and small to help keep everyone entertained on long road trips because, let's face it, there are only so many games of I-spy you can play," Mr Mooney said.
The Pack includes jokes, crosswords, trivia questions, colouring-in activities and puzzles.
Thrifty's top tips for stress-free family road trips are:
- Download and print the free Thrifty Road Trip Activity Pack – don't forget to pack pencils
- Play other games to break down the monotony of the trip, like getting children to follow their route along a map, count windmills or even count NRMA Patrol Cars!
- Download the my nrma app so you can find the cheapest petrol wherever you are on the road in NSW, and find parking at more than 4,000 publicly available spots around Australia
- Make sure all devices are fully charged before you leave home, and don't forget to pack chargers
- Make sure you've got plenty of healthy snacks and water
- Pack plastic bags and baby wipes for unexpected spills
- Make sure you stop every two hours and get out of the car
- Find out where the toilet stops are along your route before it's too late
Mr Mooney said with the right preparation, a road trip was the perfect way for the family to spend the Easter holidays.
"We are spoilt for choice when it comes to unforgettable road trip options in Australia," Mr Mooney said.
"Pick up a rental car from any one of more than 210 stores across Australia and we'll help you map out a family trip to remember.
"We know it can be tricky taking long trips with kids, so we encourage families to prepare well before hitting the road."