Welcome to the National Roads & Motorists’ Association
1300 279 528
International Drivers Licence

International Driving Permits

An International Driving Permit (IDP) or International Drivers Licence is a United Nations sanctioned document that translates your driving classification into nine different languages and is recognised in over 150 countries.

Even if you are not planning to drive while overseas, an IDP is useful to carry in case of an emergency and you require an additional form of identification.

Information changes frequently in member countries. For more information check the AAA International Handbook for Motorists (PDF 1MB/72 pages).

Why do I need an International Driving Permit?

  • An international drivers licence allows you to drive overseas without further tests or applications, provided your Australian driver's licence is still valid
  • You are required to carry your Australian Drivers' Licence with your IDP whilst overseas
  • It is also a requirement for renting a car in many countries. Failure to do so may constitute a criminal or civil offence & may have more serious consequences
  • It can  trigger an exclusion under your travel insurance policy if claiming for loss caused while driving a motor vehicle overseas
  • It can be used as an additional form of identification if your passport is locked away in a safe place
  • In most cases, your current Australian driving licence is not enough alone when driving in a foreign country. It must be complemented with an International Driving Permit

How long does it last & can I renew it overseas?

  • Your IDP is valid for twelve months or expires at the same time as your Australian driving licence, which ever comes first.
  • Yes you can renew your international drivers licence from overseas. Simply follow the instructions on the application form and return it to NRMA

How do I get an International Driving Permit?

Only NRMA and associated Members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) are authorised to issue international drivers licences. You can pick one up by:

What do I need to apply for an International Driving Permit?

To apply you must:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Hold a valid Australian Drivers Licence (either provisional or full licence)
  • Attach a copy of your valid Australian Drivers Licence (front and back)
  • Provide a recent (no more than two years old) passport sized photograph, similar size to your passport, no larger than 3.5cm x 4.5cm. (Please note for the photo to be valid it needs to be on photographic paper)
  • Complete this International Driving Permit application form (PDF 412KB/2 pages)
  • Include your payment of $39 plus express postage costs as detailed on the application form, if you require the IDP to be sent to you (Cash is not accepted please see application form for other methods of payment)

IMPORTANT NOTE: While the NRMA takes all steps to ensure accuracy of the information provided, it must be noted that requirements may change in individual countries and motorists are encouraged to check with the club or local authority in the country they plan to visit either prior to or on arrival in that country to ensure all IDP requirements are complied with.

Send all the above documentation to:
9a York Street

If you need to enquire about the progress of your IDP application form or have and questions, please contact us on 1300 053 052 or email to permits@nrmatravel.com.au

For more information on overseas motoring clubs and the services they provide, please check the AAA International Handbook for Motorists (PDF 1MB/72 pages), or review the appropriate motoring association.
All information was correct at the time of writing but may change without notice.

Talk to an NRMA Travel Consultant

NRMA Membership Number
Phone Number
Ideal times to call
Email Address
Your enquiry
  • Phone Enquiry

    Call Now
    1300 279 528
  • Enquiries & Feedback

    Is this email:

    An enquiry




    Call me
    Email me


Search & Book

  • Car hire
  • Accomm

Thrifty Car Hire

Australia New Zealand

Travel Newsletter

Sign up for the NRMA Travel newsletter