International Driving Permits
An International Driving Permit (IDP) or International Drivers Licence is a United Nations sanctioned document that translates your driving classification into nine different languages and is recognised in over 150 countries.
Even if you are not planning to drive while overseas, an IDP is useful to carry in case of an emergency and you require an additional form of identification.
Information changes frequently in member countries. For more information check the AAA International Handbook for Motorists (PDF 1MB/72 pages).
Please note that no International Driving Permits will be processed from 24th Dec to 2nd Jan. Please go to your local NRMA branch for assistance.
Why do I need an International Driving Permit?
- An international drivers licence allows you to drive overseas without further tests or applications, provided your Australian driver's licence is still valid
- You are required to carry your Australian Drivers' Licence with your IDP whilst overseas
- It is also a requirement for renting a car in many countries. Failure to do so may constitute a criminal or civil offence & may have more serious consequences
- It can trigger an exclusion under your travel insurance policy if claiming for loss caused while driving a motor vehicle overseas
- It can be used as an additional form of identification if your passport is locked away in a safe place
- In most cases, your current Australian driving licence is not enough alone when driving in a foreign country. It must be complemented with an International Driving Permit
How long does it last & can I renew it overseas?
- Your IDP is valid for twelve months or expires at the same time as your Australian driving licence, which ever comes first.
- Yes you can renew your international drivers licence from overseas. Simply follow the instructions on the application form and return it to NRMA
How do I get an International Driving Permit?Only NRMA and associated Members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) are authorised to issue international drivers licences. You can pick one up by:
- Visiting your local NRMA office where it can be issued over the counter whilst you wait or
- Simply complete the International Driving Permit application form (PDF 412KB/2 pages) and post it to NRMA
What do I need to apply for an International Driving Permit?
To apply you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Hold a valid Australian Drivers Licence (either provisional or full licence)
- Attach a copy of your valid Australian Drivers Licence (front and back)
- Provide a recent (no more than two years old) passport sized photograph, similar size to your passport, no larger than 3.5cm x 4.5cm. (Please note for the photo to be valid it needs to be on photographic paper)
- Complete this International Driving Permit application form (PDF 412KB/2 pages)
- Include your payment of $39 plus express postage costs as detailed on the application form, if you require the IDP to be sent to you
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the NRMA takes all steps to ensure accuracy of the information provided, it must be noted that requirements may change in individual countries and motorists are encouraged to check with the club or local authority in the country they plan to visit either prior to or on arrival in that country to ensure all IDP requirements are complied with.Send all the above documentation to:
NRMA - IDP
9a York Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
For more information on overseas motoring clubs and the services they provide, please check the AAA International Handbook for Motorists (PDF 1MB/72 pages), or review the appropriate motoring association.
Phone EnquiryCall Now1300 279 528
Enquiries & Feedback
Search & Book
- Car hire