While you can’t control the price of fuel at the bowser, there are some things you can do to help your vehicle’s fuel consumption during the daily commute and stretching your holiday dollars further on your next road trip.
Keep a smile on your fuel dial by committing these nine expert tips to memory.
- Shop around – Download the mynrma app to find the cheapest real time fuel prices in your area.
- Refuel when prices are low – not when your tank is empty.
- Avoid hard acceleration and braking – Flow with the traffic – smooth driving can reduce fuel consumption by up to 30 per cent.
- Watch your speed – Keep in the left lane if travelling below the limit.
- Lighten the load – Take off roof-racks and bull bars if they’re not needed. Remove golf clubs or tools if you’re not using them.
- Tyre pressure – Keep pressure towards the top of the manufacturer’s recommended range. Under-inflated tyres respond poorly to steering and do not hold well on the road.
- Have your wheel alignment checked – An improper alignment will see your tyres drag across the bitumen rather than rolling freely which results in lower fuel economy.
- Open the windows – When the weather is fine, switch off the air-conditioning. This can reduce fuel consumption by up to 10 per cent in urban driving.
- Shop smart – Take advantage of the range of petrol offers with companies.
- Service your car regularly – Blocked air filters can increase fuel consumption significantly. NRMA car servicing carries out a 40 point Safety Check free as part of every general or log book service.
More on the my nrma app
As well as saving you money by helping you find the cheapest fuel, the my nrma app is super-handy if you need roadside assistance or need to order a car battery – and you can even use it to save money with our partners.
Have you any fuel saving tips to share? We’d love to hear back from you in the comments?