International Driving Permit

International Driving Permit (IDP) family boarding a plane

Peace of mind if you're
planning to drive overseas

What is an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a translation of your current Australian driver licence available in nine languages. IDPs are officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries). They are valid for 12 months.

Why do I need an International Driving Permit?

It is highly recommended by the Australian government for travellers to obtain an IDP prior to leaving Australia.

✔ An IDP is a requirement for renting a motor vehicle in many countries, including Indonesia, Thailand, Spain, Japan, France, Italy and many more destinations.

✔ It is helpful for tourists who find themselves in need of identification or assistance.

✔ In most countries, driving without an IDP is equivalent to driving without valid insurance.

Not sure if you need an International Driving Permit?

Check if the destination you’re travelling to requires an IDP

What do I need to apply?

✔ AU $42 (plus postage if applying online).

✔ A passport style photo, less than 3.5 x 4.5cm, taken no more than 6 months ago.

✔ Your current Australian driver licence (learner permits not accepted).

How to apply

You can apply online, at participating NRMA branches (except Cootamundra, Corowa and Quirindi),
or at participating Service NSW branches

Travelling in more than 5 days

Have your IDP posted to you

  • Complete the online application form
  • Your IDP is dispatched via Express Post within 3-5 days
  • Allow 5 or more days for dispatch in regional areas or during
    public holidays.

Apply online

Travelling in less than 5 days

Have your IDP issued immediately at
participating NRMA branches

  • Make an appointment
  • Bring a recent passport photo
  • Take your Australian driver licence

Find an NRMA branch

Commission based collaboration.

Frequently asked questions

If you’re planning on driving overseas an International Driving Permit (IDP) is an official United Nations and Australian Government document advising local authorities and car rental companies that you are licenced to drive in Australia. Local authorities and car rental companies may require you hold an IDP in order to drive or rent a vehicle. We recommend having an IDP, however the requirement to have one is subject to change by local authorities and car rental companies.
International Driving Permits, also sometimes referred to as international driving licences, are recognised in over 150 countries around the world. View the IDP directory to find out if the country you are visiting requires an IDP, which side of the road to drive on and the recommended automotive club in case of emergencies. To use the directory, select the first letter of the country you are visiting.
No, there's actually no such licence. An International Driving Permit is a United Nations sanctioned document and will always have "Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September, 1949" on its cover. Counterfeit IDP's or licences usually don't show this anywhere. IDPs are only available from State and Territory Motoring clubs such as the NRMA.
The cost of an IDP is $42.00 AUD (GST free). Additional costs may apply for postage and handling.
The quickest way to get an International Driving Permit NSW is to apply in store at a participating NRMA branch or Service NSW branch where you can receive your IDP on the spot. Please remember to bring a passport style photo, less than 3.5 x 4.5cm, taken no more than six months ago, plus your current Australian driver licence (learner permits not accepted).

Looking to apply for an International Driving Permit (also known as an international driving licence)? Whether you're looking for an IDP in Sydney or IDP Brisbane, applying online is easy. Simply choose your state from the dropdown box on the website to get started.

For an IDP sent to an Australian address please allow between 3 to 5 working days from the time it is submitted (depending on the postal service selected). For IDP’s that are to be sent to an overseas address please allow 10 or more working days (depending on postal service selected and destination).

Apply for an IDP Australia online today.

Your IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever comes first).
If you are leaving in less than 7 days you can pick up an IDP in Australia from your local participating NRMA branch or selected Service NSW’s locations. Please note you are unable to pick up an IDP from every NRMA branch or Service NSW Service Centre, so check applicable locations and make an appointment before attending. Also remember to have your physical licence with you, as digital versions are not accepted. If you are looking for an IDP in Melbourne or IDP Brisbane then you can visit the local RACV or RACQ branch.

An IDP is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driver licence. You must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times.

Unfortunately not. The IDP can only be issued to Provisional or full driver licence holders, aged 18 years and older.

Yes, through our online application process. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to process and send it to your specified address and then adequate time for the overseas postal service. If you've lived overseas for more than 12 months you may need to apply for a local licence. Speak to your local authorities who can advise you.

If you need to enquire about the progress of your International Driving Permit NSW application or have a question, please contact us on 1300 053 052 or email to
Should you not wish to provide your details online, you can submit a postal application by completing an IDP application form.